Language for taxonomic names, redux

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Feb 22 20:50:28 CET 2017

On 22 February 2017 at 18:48, Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com> wrote:
> From: Ietf-languages [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Andy Mabbett
>
>> I've set out several additional use-cases previously, including:
>>   * Selection for styling by CSS
>
> So <span class="bioTaxonomy"> isn't sufficient how?

Sufficient for what? I made no argument that such markup is not
suffcemnt /merely/ for styling; I provided an example of how a
language tag might be sued

> The request for a use case isn't merely asking for hypothetical ways in which a subtag
> might possibly be used, but rather is asking for ways in which it would _likely_ be used.

It would /likely be used in the manner described.
See for eample:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Lang#Applying_styles

I know several people who already use this technique.

> you have to provide reason to believe that (a) TTS engines for the particular varieties in
> question are likely to be created, and (b) that there is a community of users that would likely
> markup up content so as to take advantage of that.

See the Wikipedia (& sister project) case I gave earlier. I'm quite
sure that my colleagues and friends who maintain taxonomic directories
(at the UK & US National History Museums, BirdGuides, BBC, BTO, RSPB,
and many more) would follow suit. See also the case made by Gregor
Hagedorn in 2008.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing