Oriya and Odia

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat May 21 18:57:36 CEST 2016

On 13 May 21:07 2016 (in some time zone) I wrote:

> It seems inconsistent (to me) that the name associated with the
> individual language [ory] was changed but the name for the
> macrolanguage [ori], which probably sees much wider use, was not.

The ISO 639-3 Registrar provided this helpful explanation off-list:

> The macrolanguage name follows the spelling/usage of the Library of
> Congress, as it is the way part 3 harmonizes with part 2 of the
> standard. [ ... ] To change the official macrolanguage name, someone
> would need to submit a change request to the Library of Congress, and
> it would need to be evaluated there.

I tend to forget about ISO 639-2 these days, particularly since its code
list has not changed in any way since 2012.

I still think adding the secondary Description field to 'or' on our own,
without waiting for the 639-2/RA, is the right move.

As a reminder, the review period ends Sunday, May 29 for this and the
other 80 changes triggered by the ISO 639-3 annual change set.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸