Elfdalian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Wed Jun 1 23:06:54 CEST 2016

Michael Everson wrote:

> I do think that is is a mistake to call it Ovdalian (= Övdalian),
> however, per our discussions here. Elfdalian seems to be the best name
> for it. Our appeal only used the form “Elfdalian” and I was unaware
> that the other name was in play.
>
> I’ve mentioned this to the RA, and if they make a change that would be
> great. In the meantime, our subtag should list both names, with
> Elfdalian first.

I completely agree that "Elfdalian" should be the preferred name.
Unfortunately, the new 639-3 file "iso-639-3_Latin1_20160525.tab" lists
only "Övdalian" (and "iso-639-3_20160525.tab" doesn't list [ovd] at
all; more later). Since that makes "Övdalian" the 639-3 reference name,
our standard requires us to list that first:

"For fields of type 'language', the first 'Description' field appearing
in the registry corresponds whenever possible to the Reference Name
assigned by ISO 639-3.  This helps facilitate cross-referencing between
ISO 639 and the registry."

If and when the RA makes this change at a later date, we can (and must)
reflect that in the Registry.

It looks like the changes to the 639-3 data files are not fully finished
anyway, as [ovd] appears in the Latin-1 file but not in the UTF-8 file;
these are supposed to be in sync. So perhaps they will make both changes
at once.

In the meantime, I know everyone is eager to get this subtag into
Registry, so here comes the paperwork for the mandatory two-week review:

---

LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
File-Date: 2016-xx-xx
%%
Type: language
Subtag: ovd
Added: 2016-xx-xx
%%

---

LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM

1. Name of requester: Doug Ewell
2. E-mail address of requester: doug at ewellic.org

3. Record Requested:

Type: language
Subtag: ovd

4. Intended meaning of the subtag:

5. Reference to published description of the language (book or article):

6. Any other relevant information:

This registration tracks a change made to ISO 639-3 effective
2016-05-27, adding the code element 'ovd' for Övdalian.

For more information on the ISO 639-3 change, refer to:
http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/PastComments/CR_Comments_2015-046.pdf

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸