Elfdalian

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Jun 1 21:53:16 CEST 2016

The appeal has been reviewed and accepted by the ISO 639 RA. I reject any proposal to create our own special code for it. The code “ovd” should be used.

See http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/

I do think that is is a mistake to call it Ovdalian (= Övdalian), however, per our discussions here. Elfdalian seems to be the best name for it. Our appeal only used the form “Elfdalian” and I was unaware that the other name was in play.

I’ve mentioned this to the RA, and if they make a change that would be great. In the meantime, our subtag should list both names, with Elfdalian first.

Michael Everson