FYI: ISO 639-5 reconfirmation ballot

Mark Davis ☕️ mark at macchiato.com
Sat Jul 16 07:14:20 CEST 2016

I disagree. If it is withdrawn, and replaced by something else, it still
orphans the codes in the language registry. And if it is replaced by
something that doesn't use the same namespace (a statement like "why use
alpha-3 codes which look identical to language codes?" is worrisome) it
will cause no end of confusion in implementations.

> And it is nowhere near complete enough to be useful.

It should be fleshed out, in that case. Clearly linguists may also need a
more elaborate structure, with more information that would be of little
interest to lay people. And for that it could be useful to have an
*additional* part.

But there would be value value to providing standard 3-letter code to
complete the common groupings like those under "Language Family" on the
right page of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swahili_language, even when the
categorization changes over time.

Mark