New file format uses ISO 639-2 alpha-3 plus TLDs, ignores BCP 47

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Jul 12 20:52:40 CEST 2016

Dave Rice wrote:

> We had discussion on the cellar list about this but I see that the
> results of that discussion were used in the EBML draft but did not
> (yet) impact the current Matroska draft. In our discussion however
> we were discussing RFC 5646. Is BCP47 preferred?

BCP 47 is the union of RFC 5646 and RFC 4647. The latter has to do with
matching of tags, and would probably address some of the questions that
came up in the January discussion on the cellar list.

Please feel free to ask us questions about BCP 47 in the course of your
work. Parts of the January thread definitely indicates a lack of
familiarity with BCP 47, and reliance on third-party sources (I've tried
at least to clean up the Wikipedia article).

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org