Fire the programmer (was: Re: Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian)

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Fri Apr 29 22:48:34 CEST 2016

> What happened was, implementers (by which I do NOT just mean the developer who pounds the keyboard) read all the cautions and protestations in the RFC as "this will never, ever happen," and that, I'm pretty sure, is not what we meant to say.

I think more likely is someone who's like "lets implement this" and someone else says "Joe wrote a library once" without double checking.  Or someone trying to get done in a deadline and overlooked that bit.  Or someone that built it based on a second hand understanding without reading the RFC themselves, etc.  Not saying those guys couldn't do better, but rather that they didn't necessarily have some sort of malicious intent.

-Shawn