Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Sun Apr 24 23:33:34 CEST 2016

I kind of like that approach.

From: Ietf-languages [mailto:ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Doug Ewell
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2016 9:42 AM
To: Mark Davis ☕️ <mark at macchiato.com>; Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
Cc: ietflang IETF Languages Discussion <ietf-languages at iana.org>
Subject: Re: Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Dear ISO 639-3/RA, the undersigned believe that Elfdalian is a language and not a dialect, and as such should be issued an ISO 639-3 code element, for the following reasons...

Is this what we are trying to say? It doesn’t mention that the RA previously denied the request, and therefore avoids telling the RA that they made an incorrect decision. Do we need to be even more delicate than this, and not even ask them to issue a code element, but only suggest abstractly that they might possibly wish to consider additional evidence?

It is sometimes difficult to ask someone in writing to overturn their decision without basically telling them their decision was in error. In speech, tone of voice and pauses and eyebrows make this sort of advanced finesse more practical.

I don’t have any problem with saying “the undersigned” or equivalent instead of claiming the entire group, some of whom may disagree.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸