Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Sat Apr 23 13:27:18 CEST 2016

Hello Peter,

On 2016/04/23 19:08, Peter Constable wrote:
> From: Mats Blakstad [mailto:mats.gbproject at gmail.com]

>> I completely understand that argument. However, it is the process that the RA
>> themselves have led, giving special requirements for Elfdalian for assigning a
>> language code that are not given for other languages, that put us in this situation.
>
> It is _the openness of the RA’s process_ that has enabled us to be discussing this at all! Otherwise, you would have received a rejection without any idea as to why or as to who else provided what input.
>
> But now some of you here seem to want that openness to be by-passed because it suits your purposes. We can’t have it both ways.

I think there are different issues here that should be carefully
distinguished. One is openness, the other is due process, and the third
is a fixed schedule. They are ways in which these may be linked, but
they are not the same.

It's perfectly possible for the RA to be open and follow due process
even if they don't cling to their fixed once-a year update schedule.

Regards,   Martin.