Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sat Apr 23 16:43:36 CEST 2016

On 23 Apr 2016, at 05:07, Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Based on information I've heard about linguistic distinctness ā€” and I have no reason not to trust the combined sources of that information ā€” I have been persuaded that Elfdalian should be coded as a separate language.

Then the RA made an error.

> Now we are asking the RA to engage in a different, not publicly-visible process.

Nothing prevents them from publishing the appeal and their positive response to it.

> The only justification I see given is that people don't want to wait through 8 months with uncertainty about the outcome.

My own beef about the RA is that they consider additions only once every twelve months.

> I completely understand that waiting 8 months may be inconvenient for some.

Mats has already waited 18, if I understand him right.

> But what people are not considering is that, for the RA, to engage in a non-public process may be _far, far more damaging_ to them. And as I've seen, that kind of damage to the RA could potentially lead to damage for BCP 47.

I am afraid Iā€™m unable to see into your crystal ball.

> For my part, I think it wiser not to push the RA in a direction that this list might later come to regret.

Can you give any substantiation to this?

Michael Everson