Appeal to ISO 639 RA in support of Elfdalian

Mats Blakstad mats.gbproject at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 01:04:57 CEST 2016

> There is another aspect to all this. The inplicit implication is that any
> tools that are based on language tags should treat Elfdalian as part of
> Swedish. So things like keyboard layouts, spellxhecking, cldr exemplary
> characters, indexable characters should be expected  support both Swedish
> and Elfdalian.

Why should we register one language as a variant of another language? We
don't do that for other languages. It makes no sense. And I guess we will
have a hard time to add linguistic data for Elfdalian for Swedish language
codes in other repositories; I guess most will not find it logical to
register anything else then Swedish linguistic data under the Swedish
language code.

> Not sure thats what the relevant Swedish government reps want. But it
> would be an outcome online with their advice.

They don't want Elfdalian to be registered as a language despite that the
linguistic evidences are pure clear. Comments from Swedish officials and
disputing comments can be found in the rejection statement:
http://www-01.sil.org/iso639-3/cr_files/PastComments/CR_Comments_2015-046.pdf

On Thursday, 21 April 2016, Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Have you thought of submitting this to the RA not as a direct letter,
which won't be seen by anybody who does frequent this DL, but rather as a
proposal via their existing process — which lots of other people will see?

> That would communicate to a broader audience that this group representing
the Internet and Web user communities, think that the RA's decision — hence
the Swedish governmental agency — are wrong. And it would create an
opportunity for more linguistic experts (most of whom, I assume, would
support the request) to weigh in.

Do you mean to wait for the code until next year? If so, then sorry but I
don't have time for that. We can of course send a new application next year
to try to get an ISO language code and we can add comments from IETF, but
at least we need to have the language subtag until then.