request for subtag for Elfdalian

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sun Apr 17 06:01:33 CEST 2016

Answering this question more generally...

> I have one question: How extensive is BCP 47 used?

Very, very widely! Some examples:

The Internet:
HTTP: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#section-3.1.3.1
Mail / mime content: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3282

The Web:
http://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/
http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/REC-html5-20141028/dom.html#the-lang-and-xml:lang-attributes
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126/#sec-lang-tag

Unicode CLDR:
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/#Identifiers

MS Windows
https://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/uwp/globalizing/manage-language-and-region

Re this comment:

> The RA wanted to see "that there would be serious separate language development, apart from that of Swedish.", but now in fact it seems like their own decision are preventing exactly that kind of language development.

The RA cannot put itself in the position of establishing the status of the target of an encoding proposal. This is exactly the case as well for Unicode: Unicode will not approve a proposal to encode characters or a script that does not yet have an established independent status, and will not put itself in the position of encoding things in order to establish such a status.

Peter