request for subtag for Elfdalian

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Apr 16 00:13:58 CEST 2016

Mats Blakstad wrote:

> I also got problems again now because I wanted to upload the Elfdalian
> keyboard to XKB (Xorg keyboards) to make it available for linux users,
> as there are 7 extra letters needed to be able to write Elfdalian,
> however it seems like we're only allowed to add ISO 639 codes, not BCP
> 47.

I assume you mean you’re only allowed to add 2- or 3-letter language
codes from ISO 639. What other features of BCP 47 does the XKB
specification not support?

> I have one question: How extensive is BCP 47 used?

If someone or some organization claims to support “language tags” but in
fact only supports 2- or 3-letter ISO 639 language codes, with or
without 2-letter ISO 3166-1 region codes, no script subtags or variants
or what not, then the right thing to do is to educate them about BCP 47
and try to persuade them to migrate.

That, of course, assumes that the specification is not frozen. Wikipedia
seems to think the latest stable version of XKB is from 1996. There's
not much you can do about such things, and it doesn’t mean time has to
stand still for everyone else.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸