Language Subtag Registration

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Oct 15 22:45:26 CEST 2015

John Cowan wrote:

> I grant that I may be being too finicky here.  But it seems to me that
> "en-CA-u-sd-canl" means "whatever English(es)" are spoken in
> Newfoundland and Labrador, rather than the specific variety
> Newfoundland English.

I did raise the possibility, in my original message, that the -canl tag
might encompass too much. That said, I also suggested that it does not,
unless there is a distinct "Labrador English," and I agree with Mark
that the granularity that can be expected with subdivisions is
comparable to what can be expected with regions. "de-DE" is known to be
imperfectly broad, but can be still a useful tag; "de-DE-u-sd-deby" has
the same strengths and weaknesses.

> It seems to me that since I live in NYC and speak English, that I
> necessarily speak "en-US-u-sd-nyc", even though I do not speak English
> with the New York City accent (non-rhotic, PRICE-CHOICE-merging,
> non-hurry-furry-merging, etc.), which would be hypothetically
> "en-US-nynyc".

You speak whatever you speak, regardless of where you live, grew up, or
happen to be right now.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸