Language Subtag Registration

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Oct 15 18:11:30 CEST 2015

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> With the release of CLDR 28, it should now be possible to write
> "en-CA-u-sd-canl" to mean "English as used in Newfoundland," with no
> additional registrations required.

I grant that I may be being too finicky here.  But it seems to me that
"en-CA-u-sd-canl" means "whatever English(es)" are spoken in Newfoundland
and Labrador, rather than the specific variety Newfoundland English.
It seems to me that since I live in NYC and speak English, that I
necessarily speak "en-US-u-sd-nyc", even though I do not speak English
with the New York City accent (non-rhotic, PRICE-CHOICE-merging,
non-hurry-furry-merging, etc.), which would be hypothetically
"en-US-nynyc".

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Normally I can handle panic attacks on my own; but panic is, at the moment,
a way of life.                 --Joseph Zitt