Subtag registration: Russian transliteration of Chinese

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Oct 13 00:46:31 CEST 2015

Markus Scherer wrote:

>>> 4. Intended meaning of the subtag: Cyrillic transliteration of
>>> Chinese according to the traditional Russian transliteration system.
>>
>> You can represent this today, using Extension T: "zh-t-ru" or
>> "zh-t-ru-cyrl".
>
> AFAIU it is the other way around:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6497#section-2.1
>
> -> ru-t-zh

Hmm. The content isn't really "in" Russian; it's still Chinese, but
transliterated using Russian-language rules.

I guess this does match the example in RFC 6497, section 1
("Introduction"), sentence beginning "Suppose". It just feels strange to
call this "ru-something" when the language of the content is Chinese.

In any event, this works right now, without any additional
registrations.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸