Extension for modality (was: Re: [Slim] Primary language tags (was "Re: draft-tomkinson comments"))

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Mon Nov 9 21:12:04 CET 2015

Just as a heads-up, the SLIM (Selection of Language for Internet Media)
WG is informally considering an RFC 5646 extension to indicate modality
(spoken, written, signed, possibly others). This would allow indication
of user preference for one modality or the other using BCP 47 language
tags, which is a commonly discussed use case in SLIM.

I suggested the extension approach because IIRC we've already had the
discussion here about adding variants for 'spoken', 'written', etc. and
the consensus was No.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸