Current requests (was: Re: Third correction to 'ao1990' : Prefix field - addition of 'gl')

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue May 19 19:28:16 CEST 2015

On 19 May 2015, at 05:35, Doug Ewell <doug at ewellic.org> wrote:

> 1. http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.languages/10716
>
>   I wrote this on May 13. The request is to fix the spelling of "Portuguese" in the Description.
>
>   Michael has already approved this one (May 15), although that is not final until the review period ends May 27.

Yes.

> 2. http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.languages/10717
>
>   Luc wrote this on May 15. It includes the spelling correction from (1) above, and also replaces the three language-region Prefix fields with "Prefix: pt".
>
>   There is no proposed record for this one, only a registration form, but Luc or I could easily bang one out and send it to the list if desired. Assuming that is done by May 22, the review period ends May 29.

I don’t think this is a good idea. I’d just as soon see people get on with implementation.

> 3. http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.languages/10718
>
>   Luc also wrote this on May 15. It includes the two changes from (1) and (2) above, and adds a new Prefix field, "Prefix: gl".
>
>   The review period for this also ends May 29.

I really don’t find the practice of one publication in Galicia convincing. The Galegan Wikipedia articles on orthography don’t mention the AO 1990, though it appears that there are some “Reintegrationist” movements arguing that Galician ia a variety of Portuguese, but that is not the same thing as AO1990 becoming an official orthography in Galicia. (The Galician Wikipedia doesn’t even HAVE an article about AO1990.

I think Doug’s spelling correction is enough for now.

Michael