Atong and Jogi

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri May 8 00:16:42 CEST 2015

ISO 639-3/RA has rolled out a couple of changes in their 2015-05-05 code
set files:

1. A new language, Jogi [jog], has been added.

2. The previously ambiguous names "Atong" for [aot] and "Atong" for
[ato] have been changed to "Atong (India)" and "Atong (Cameroon)"
respectively. This name conflict was introduced earlier this year, when
the existing "A'tong" [aot] was modified to add the name "Atong" without
the apostrophe. (The new name was also made the 639-3 reference name,
though the ambiguity would be a problem even if it weren't.)

I understand why the two Atongs were disambiguated right away; that's a
potential data integrity problem.

I'm surprised that a new language was added outside of the annual cycle,
just as I was surprised in late March when Yan-nhaŋu Sign Language was
added. Perhaps there is a movement in the RA toward registering items on
a continual basis, and away from the annual cycle.

Forms to reflect these changes in the Registry will be coming soon.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸