Process (was: RE: New forms for 'ao1990')

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu May 7 19:41:47 CEST 2015

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

> I should think that it would be obvious since the last revision was
> written by me. Doug forwarded the documents to me as always and I
> forwarded them.

Addison and Peter are right, Michael. You have to state on the list that
you are taking Action A or B or C. It really shouldn't be a matter of
inference and deduction. That's why we added all the new wording about
"MUST explicitly accept or reject the request" on page 45 of RFC 5646,
which wasn't there in RFC 4646.

Actually, there's another aspect of Section 3.5 that we didn't follow
for these Portuguese variant requests:

"Sometimes the request needs to be modified as a result of discussion
during the review period or due to requirements in this document. The
applicant, Language Subtag Reviewer, or others MAY submit a modified
version of the completed registration form, which will be considered in
lieu of the original request with the explicit approval of the
applicant."

All three of these requests were modified substantially by others
(including me) after Andrew Glass originally posted them on March 16,
either to change the description or the prefixes or the comments or the
references or something else, but we didn't get Andrew's explicit
approval on most or all of them. These requests are going into the
archives with his name on them, and he may not have approved of the
changes at all. We need to do a better job in the future circling back
with the original requester, even for clerical fixes, which these
certainly weren't.

All of the requirements in RFC 5646 are there for a reason.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸