Registration request for new subtags for Portuguese orthographies

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Mar 25 16:40:18 CET 2015

On 25 Mar 2015, at 15:30, Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com> wrote:

>>> What I have not heard is any suggestions of alternate solutions that would enable my need to differentiate between multiple variations of Portuguese (pt-PT to be exact) and also address your concerns.  I'd be totally happy to entertain any alternative tags that would help me have multiple versions coexist.  As far as I personally care it could be pt-alternate (though I imagine others would find that a little too vague).
>
>> This is EXACTLY the discussion I want us to have about this.
>
> You've objected but provided no alternatives, which, IMO, isn't really a discussion.  If you see a problem with the proposal, how do you propose to fix it?

I was asking you lot to make suggestions. I have objected to the underspecification. I would like you to offer suggestions as to alternatives which would make sense to you. I did not want to get into trouble specifying things that might conflict or be impossible in the kinds of implementations you are working with.

So, again, if a user in Portugal wants his variants of ao1990 and a user in Brazil wants his variants of ao1990, how would you propose to respond to those user requirements?