Registration request for new subtags for Portuguese orthographies

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 23 17:39:37 CET 2015

3.6.  Possibilities for Registration

   Possibilities for registration of subtags or information about
   subtags include:
      Dialect or other divisions or variations within a language, its
      orthography, writing system, regional or historical usage,
      transliteration or other transformation, or distinguishing
      variation MAY be registered as variant subtags.  An example is the
      'rozaj' subtag (the Resian dialect of Slovenian).

The RFC very clearly has a bunch of ors, including a very general "distinguishing variation".  None of those would appear to require a word list.  That we can even have a conversation discussing this variant, and we all understand the conversation, pretty much indicates that it meets the criteria.

The only reference I see to a source is a line in the subtag registration form:

5. Reference to published description
      of the language (book or article):

Which seems to request a singular reference, though the actual registry doesn't include it.  Nowhere in the RFC does it say that a reference is necessary, nor provide guidance as to the perceived "quality" of the reference; this part of the form seems to be informational (though "book or article" seems a bit antiquated nowadays.)  Regardless, a reference has been provided.

-Shawn