Fwd: Registration request for new subtags for Portuguese orthographies

António H F P A Emiliano - FCSH/UNL antonio.emiliano at fcsh.unl.pt
Sat Mar 21 16:22:25 CET 2015

From António:

=====
No law from 1990 but the treaty itself (which is not a law and has not been ratified by all the members of CPLP).

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft.com>
> Date: 21 March 2015 04:48:13 GMT+00:00
> To: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>, "ietf-languages at alvestrand.no" <ietf-languages at alvestrand.no>
> Cc: António Emiliano <ah.emiliano at fcsh.unl.pt>
> Subject: RE: Registration request for new subtags for Portuguese orthographies
>
> But as has been noted, AO 1990 is sanctioned by law in Portugal.

No. Sorry, [Peter], no such law exists in the portuguese republic. I do not know about Brazil. In the portuguese republic there is the 1990 treaty (and its two additions) and an information from the Portuguese Cabinet published in Diário da República, stating that the new spelling would be used in official documents and in schools the following year. That can hardly qualify as law. The AO45 was published as a law. It has not been revoked. - A.