ISO 639-3 changes

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sun Jan 25 19:46:03 CET 2015

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> 4. For existing subtags, when we add a Description with a real click
> letter, we can simultaneously "correct" any ASCII apostrophes. We
> have already used both U+02BC MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE (for
> Gwichʼin) and U+2019 RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK (for N’Ko, both
> language and script), and I would prefer to stick to one of these
> consistently for the African languages.

Wikipedia says the modifier letter is correct for Gwich'in.  However,
I haven't found any examples of using it for N'Ko; that seems to be
the regular punctuation apostrophe, even though it is used only in
the digraph "N'", representing a single letter of N'Ko script.

> 5. We should not create "hybrid" Description fields that differ
> *only* by type of apostrophe, as we currently have with N’Ko, since
> these are hard to distinguish. (Yes, I know it is even harder to
> distinguish ! from ǃ .)

Mm, the idea is that N’Ko is best for display, but N'Ko is also
acceptable.

> We only need to agree on items 2a and 3 in order to add ǂUngkue.

I agree that's all we need, and I agree on those two points.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Time alone is real
  the rest imaginary
like a quaternion       --phma