ISO 639-3 changes

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sun Jan 25 04:53:04 CET 2015

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> I'm not sure what to think about Kent's suggested change from uppercase
> to lowercase for "normal" letters that follow an initial click letter.

Iʻm against it.  In Hawaiʻan, the presence of a caseless ʻokina at
the beginning of a word does not block capitalization of the following
letter if the word is a name or appears at the beginning of a sentence.

> For what it's worth, and although it's anything but normative here,
> Wikipedia doesn't lowercase these letters either.

Indeed.  The article <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CA%BBOkina> says:
says "For words that begin with an ʻokina, capitalization rules affect
the next letter instead (for instance, at the beginning of a sentence,
the name of the letter is written "ʻOkina", with a capital O)."
Unfortunately, no source is given, but it agrees with what I have seen
for both Hawaiʻan and Khoi-San languages.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
The Unicode Standard does not encode idiosyncratic, personal, novel,
or private use characters, nor does it encode logos or graphics.