ISO 639-3 changes

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Jan 24 00:53:14 CET 2015

I'm not sure what to think about Kent's suggested change from uppercase
to lowercase for "normal" letters that follow an initial click letter.
Although it makes sense in principle that a non-initial letter isn't
capitalized simply because it follows a caseless letter, that's not the
way either ISO 639-3 or Ethnologue capitalizes these names, and this has
nothing to do with the ASCII fallbacks.

For what it's worth, and although it's anything but normative here,
Wikipedia doesn't lowercase these letters either.

Let's see if we can get some authoritative feedback on this particular
topic.

Regarding the apostrophes, especially in combination with the idea to
list both the real and fallback click letters, I sincerely hope we can
avoid too many "almost identical" spellings like this:

Many users will not be able to see the difference between ' and ʼ and
it may appear very strange to regard this as a "spelling difference"
that justifies two separate names. I frankly wish we had not done this
with N'Ko.

=/Kx'au//'ein is being deprecated, so that's at least one we don't have
to worry about.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA | http://ewellic.org