ISO 639-3 changes

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Mon Jan 19 23:16:28 CET 2015

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> We have always used the ASCII fallbacks in the Registry because they
> were what the RA used; now may be the time to reopen the question
> of whether to use the real letters uniformly, use ASCII fallbacks
> uniformly, or include both.

I think we should follow the RA, since our file is UTF-8.  When and if
the RA starts to change existing names, we can reconsider whether to
remove the ASCII fallbacks or not (my instinct says not to).

> A greater problem is that the 639-3 data files, for the first time,
> include the alpha-2 code element 'zg' for Standard Moroccan Tamazight,

I agree that we can't include this as a PLT.  I think we should add a
Comment: field to 'zgh' explaining that 'zg' is not valid.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
We do, doodley do, doodley do, doodley do,
What we must, muddily must, muddily must, muddily must;
Muddily do, muddily do, muddily do, muddily do,
Until we bust, bodily bust, bodily bust, bodily bust.  --Bokonon