Apostrophes (was: Re: ISO 639-3 changes)

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sun Feb 1 02:18:36 CET 2015

Caoimhin O Donnaile scripsit:

> I know nothing about this subject myself, but I looked up U+02BC at
> fileformat.info
>
>   http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2bc
>
> and it says “See also ... nko high tone apostrophe U+07F4”

U+07F4 is a high-tone indicator used in N'Ko script itself which
physically resembles an apostrophe.  The apostrophe in "N'Ko" has no
direct equivalent in N'Ko script: rather, there is a unitary letter whose
Latin transliteration is "n'".  It appears to be borderline in the script,
used only in the first person pronoun (notably in in the word _n'ko_
'I say', which is also the name of the script and the standardized
variety of Mande which the script encodes).

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Híggledy-pìggledy / XML programmers
Try to escape those / I-eighteen-N woes;
Incontrovertibly / What we need more of is
Unicode weenies and / François Yergeaus.