Pending requests

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue Dec 1 18:14:25 CET 2015

Do you care about the authors of the content being able to author it?
Or do you care about consumers of the content being able to read it?

If someone were to create a wikipedia simple grammer/spelling checker, that is a process so specialized that a private tag seems appropriate

If I'm a user I want "simple" English.  Users could care less about a distinction between Voice of America English, Wikipedia Simplified English and Basic English.  I just want an English I might be able to understand a bit better than normal English.  I can't specify en-US-VoA in http-accept-language, because it'll match "en-US" not "en-US-wpsimple".  So those tags are useless to the user.  (However if we wanted to consider en-US-simple-VoA and en-US-simple-odgenbe and en-US-simple-wp that might work).

en-wpsimple is just going to be the content authors talking to themselves (or their grammar/speller tools).  We don't really need a tag that solves only the creation problem.  The interesting problem is the content consumers trying to request the simplified version.

-Shawn