Variant reordering

Phillips, Addison addison at lab126.com
Mon Jan 27 02:35:29 CET 2014

Hi Doug,

"Significant" is a relative significance determined by the user--a "more significant" subtag is one that is more important to the overall tag's meaning--and is related to the "remove-from-right" type of language tag matching/fallback. That is, you'd want to remove the "most significant" subtag last.

As such, it will usually be purely a subjective choice on the part of the user (given that most variant subtags already have Prefix guidance).

For example, suppose there were a subtag "2014" that meant "spelling reform of 2014" and another subtag "xxzzy" that referred to word choice in a spoken dialect. The order of these two subtags would depend on whether the author felt that the word choice or the spelling were more important to the meaning of the overall tag "zxx-2014-xxzzy" (or "zxx-xxzzy-2014"), as there is not specific information in either tag that makes one inherently "more significant" than the other.

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect (Amazon Lab126)
Chair (W3C I18N WG)