ISO 639-3: announcement but no data

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Wed Feb 5 19:16:31 CET 2014

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> Perhaps one disconcerting outcome of the RA's review is that eight
> requests dating from 2012 or earlier are still in the waiting list,
> including Medieval Greek (2006) and Ecclesiastical Greek and
> Katharevousa Greek (both 2009). I don't know how this aligns with the
> statement that only five are awaiting additional information.

I don't know the timing on this, but the 639-3 and 639-2 RAs are
collaborating to create a macrolanguage for the obsolete Greek varieties.
There probably should be another one for the still-current Hellenic
languages (Standard Greek, Pontic, Cappadocian, Tsakonian), since the
last three are often referred to as "dialects of Greek".  But nobody's
proposed that yet.

Needless to say, this new macrolanguage should *not* be used to create
extlang subtags, as there is no legacy use.

--
He played King Lear as though           John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>
someone had played the ace.             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan