Registration request for new variant subtag; Anii, Balanka

Gordon P. Hemsley me at gphemsley.org
Mon Feb 3 15:38:46 CET 2014

On 02/02/2014 12:46 PM, Doug Ewell wrote:
> Here are the proposed record and registration form for 'anibl'. There
> are only very minor formatting changes from Mats's original registration
> form (asterisks and line length). The two-week review period began on
> Wednesday, January 29, when Mats sent his request to the list, so this
> request could be submitted to IANA as early as Thursday, February 13.
>
> ---
>
> LANGUAGE SUBTAG MODIFICATION
> File-Date: 2014-02-13
> %%
> Type: variant
> Subtag: anibl
> Added: 2014-02-13
> Prefix: blo
> Comments: Balanka is one of 19 Anii dialects.
> %%
>
> ---

Why was the subtag 'anibl' chosen? The name of primary language has two
I's, so why not 'aniibl'?

And, to take a step further, isn't the mention of Anii in the variant
subtag (with either 'ani' or 'anii') redundant with the language subtag?
Why not use 'balanka' instead? We have enough characters for it, don't we?

--
Gordon P. Hemsley
me at gphemsley.org
http://gphemsley.org/