Records and registration forms for 'ekavsk' and 'ijekavsk'

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at telia.com
Sat Nov 23 00:51:53 CET 2013

------

> Subtag: ijekavsk
> (which has ije, je, or i instead of the e in Ekavian). The pronunciation
> difference is directly reflected on the written language.

This seems strange to me. The descriptions only mention pronunciation,
in which case the script subtags would always be irrelevant, but the
motivational text, and the discussion otherwise, also refer to written
form, i.e. spelling differences. I think the latter is true, in which
case the description should not mention only pronunciation. Indeed,
IIRC, even some lexical differences (apart from the systematic
difference) was also mentioned. So I think the descriptions should
be "Serbian in the ...ian variant", or "Serbian in the ...ian pronunciation
or spelling". The latter does not catch other lexical differences, though.
But maybe they are too small to mention, or is due to other differences
than Ekavian/Ijekavian per se.

(I know, the original proposed records have the same descriptions.)

    /Kent K