proposed ISO 639 change for "arn"

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Wed Jan 9 22:14:13 CET 2013

I object. A fundamental goal of BCP47 is stability. This runs the risk of
introducing the "iw" / "he" problem which has plagued us to this day.

While we did allow for this in extremis, to allow for technical conflicts,
this is not one of those. See http://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47#page-1-36

   2.   Values in the fields 'Preferred-Value' and 'Deprecated' MAY be
        added, altered, or removed via the registration process.  These
        changes SHOULD be limited to changes necessary to mirror changes
        in one of the underlying standards (ISO 639, ISO 15924, ISO
        3166-1, or UN M.49) and typically alteration or removal of a
        'Preferred-Value' is limited specifically to region codes.

A major reason for the development of BCP47 was to guard against the
instability of underlying ISO standards. If iana goes down this path, I
think the result will be a new standard on top of BCP47 that guards against
instability in that! Nobody should want that.

Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
*
*
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*