New extension for transformed languages

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Mar 8 18:30:00 CET 2012

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

>>> Then I suppose Doug does not feel it would not be wise to register
>>> a mechanism for a translation
>>
>> No, I don't feel it would be wise to register a mechanism for
>> translation, because we have a brand-new extension ('t') that claims
>> to be usable for just that purpose.
>
> Agreed. But I met a second mechanism -- in addition to the m0
> mechanism now available for use with the 't' extension).

I don't know what such a mechanism would add. "Translation" is a concept
that can stretch from the most literal, straightforward word
substitutions to the most individual and personal grammatical and
stylistic choices, and every point in between. I don't know how one
would tag the "individual" end, or where one would arbitrarily draw the
line between literal and non-literal translation, or what benefit any of
this would bring to the consumer of the content thus tagged.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­