New extension for transformed languages

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Mon Mar 5 18:25:57 CET 2012

The first versions of the document had a narrower scope, but during
the course of development, it was clear that there are a great many
use cases where people wanted the ability to have a much broader
scope, and it was widened—not merely to 'translation' but to the
broader 'transform'. While you may not see the need for those, other
people did.

However, the system works like language tags; additional subtags can
be registered to narrow the scope. For example, ru-t-it-m0-ungegn
means not only a transliteration, but one that follows UNGEGN rules.
And these can also be dated, if necessary to have finer distinctions,
such as ru-t-it-m0-ungegn-2003. So if you (or anyone else) wants to,
you can propose addition subtags, such as one to specify that the
transform uses another transliteration system, or a broader subtag to
indicate that it is a transcription (and not a translation or other
transform). The currently registered -t- subtags are at
http://unicode.org/repos/cldr/trunk/common/bcp47/transform.xml.

(BTW, it appears that you still didn't read the RFC, but just did a
search-in-page for "translat". If you broaden slightly to "trans",
you'd pick up "transform", and see that it is even broader than
translation. Or you could just read the document; it's not that long.
;-)

Mark

— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —