Early Modern English

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Jan 12 08:27:51 CET 2012

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> I’m considering proposing a variant subtag for Early Modern English,
> the language of Shakespeare, Milton, Hobbes, and the King James Bible
> (largely after Tyndale), associated roughly with the period from 1470
> to 1650.  Any comments are welcome.

I'd use the tag 'emode' based on the standard abbreviation "EModE".

John Cowan              http://www.ccil.org/~cowan      cowan at ccil.org
"After all, would you consider a man without honor wealthy, even if his
Dinar laid end to end would reach from here to the Temple of Toplat?"
"No, I wouldn't", the beggar replied.  "Why is that?" the Master asked.
"A Dinar doesn't go very far these days, Master.        --Kehlog Albran
Besides, the Temple of Toplat is across the street."      The Profit