gender voice variants

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 20:30:29 CET 2012

On 12/22/2012 09:06 PM, Peter Constable wrote:
>> this subtag to serve as a hint to a "grammar engine".
>
> I don't think that's what I wanted. All I had in mind was static resources/content.
>
> I do recognize that formatting strings with replaceable elements is an important consideration, though. (E.g., "%s sent you %d messages", where "sent" may be inflected to agree with %s, and there may be concord between %d and "messages".) And those scenarios stretch limits in relation to static resources.
>
> I did not have in mind, for instance, MT scenarios that may need to deal with complex grammatical issues.

But that's what you'll almost surely end up
with, considering even the presented limited
scenario (with static resources, yes).

The case of East Slavonics, as it seems, *might*
prove to be "easy"; as a matter of fact, in this
case it might be possible to completely
circumvent the whole issue with
impersonal/plural+polite/plural mode of
expression, but in those other cases (cf. the
Italian example)?

I agree that all this is not a principal issue
in subtags registering, but I feel it might be
helpful to have more meaningful descriptions for
the subtags proposed. Do you think "hints for
grammar/lexical engine" is too serious?

-Yury