gender voice variants

Broome, Karen Karen.Broome at am.sony.com
Thu Dec 20 19:49:35 CET 2012

I guess my perspective is as someone who is used to static design templates with sets of localized string data for each applicable locale – much like Mark’s example. I have the English string, I create the localizations I need across various languages, including possibly sex-based strings in the locales where this is appropriate and within my marketing budget. In most cases, this is easily done by the same translator I’ve already hired for that locale.

I assign these multilingual sets to a variable or data element in a *neutral* template that spans all locales and key off user data to display the right string. If the ability to handle sexual variation is not at the language tag level, I can’t simply swap out strings depending on who the audience is. That’s what I was indicating felt clean about handling this in a language tag rather than requiring an additional bit of logic to show the right string for every locale where human sex affects speech.  (Or more likely, you just skip this and use the male variant – because it hasn’t been made easy by putting this in the language tag.)

I don’t think the tags should identify parameters of the linguistic audience, but each member of an online audience can also be assigned a language tag, which can then be matched to appropriate content. Dynamic data is the target for this.

Regards,

Karen Broome