gender voice variants

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Dec 20 18:34:09 CET 2012

For the purposes of this discussion, in order to avoid terminological confusion, could we please agree that words have gender, and human beings have sex?

German and Russian have three genders. Swahili has seven genders. Irish has two genders.

Our species has male, female, and intersexed people, in addition to transgendered people (who usually match up with men or women).

Terms like "masculine gender" and "male sex" might help to avoid confusion in what it is people think they do or do not want .