preliminary registration proposal for variant subtags "gendmale", "gendfem", "gendneut"

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 19 23:42:03 CET 2012

To rein in the discussion from things I think are off-topic and out of scope, particularly complexities across the world's languages in relation to grammatical gender, I'm sending draft requests to capture what I _do_ intend the scope of consideration to be.

(These encompass the male/female/neutral gender distinctions. In my original male, I did also mention 'child' as potentially related in terms of speech UI resources; I'll leave that aside for now, though mention again here in case it's a factor in how the gender distinctions are considered.)

This is not a formal proposal: I'm still looking for discussion on the idea generally to see if it's a useful thing to consider at all.

Also, my statement on scope above is not intended to rule out separate discussion of other distinctions such as level of formality (e.g., tutoyer vs. vouvoyer). My thoughts on that are different than for gender, but it is a separate topic.

----------------------------
  LANGUAGE SUBTAG REGISTRATION FORM
   1. Name of requester: Peter Constable
   2. E-mail address of requester: petercon at microsoft.com
   3. Record Requested:

      Type: variant
      Subtag: gendmale
      Prefix: *
      Comments:

      To be used for capturing a gender distinction in relation
      to the source of content (e.g., 'Czech as spoken by a
      male') or the target audience for content (e.g.,
       'applicable to a male Czech user').

   4. Intended meaning of the subtag: male gender
   5. Reference to published description
      of the language (book or article):
   6. Any other relevant information:

      This subtag is not intended for capturing grammatical
      Gender of wordforms, morphemes or other such usage
      pertaining to grammatical gender. An utterance may use
      wordforms or inflections of a particular grammatical
      gender by virtue of it being spoken by or addressed to
      a person of a particular gender, and so the notion of
      grammatical gender is not entirely unrelated. However,
      the intent is to capture a characterization of the
      speaker or target audience for a content item and not
      a characterization of the grammatical or morphological
      structure of elements within the content.

      An exemplary application would be in tailoring of user
      Interface elements in a software product or personal
      information device. For example, user-interface strings
      or speech assets may be provided with male and female
      variants, to be selected according to a user preference.

----------------------------
   2. E-mail address of requester: petercon at microsoft.com
   3. Record Requested:

      Type: variant
      Subtag: gendfem
      Prefix: *
      Comments:

      To be used for capturing a gender distinction in relation
      to the source of content (e.g., 'Czech as spoken by a
      female') or the target audience for content (e.g.,
       'applicable to a female Czech user').

   4. Intended meaning of the subtag: female gender

   2. E-mail address of requester: petercon at microsoft.com
   3. Record Requested:

      Type: variant
      Subtag: gendneut
      Prefix: *
      Comments:

      To be used for capturing a gender distinction in relation
      to the source of content (e.g., 'Czech as spoken by either
      a male or a female') or the target audience for content
      (e.g., 'applicable to a male or female Czech user').

   4. Intended meaning of the subtag: neutral gender