gender voice variants

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 09:51:21 CET 2012

Those are sociolects and, thus, should be marked not just in BCP 47,
but in ISO 639-6, as they are equally relevant as dialects are.
(Actually, dialects usually don't exist in the described form, as
their description is likely 100 years old and taken from the old men
of that time. The goal of the dialect description is not the dialect
per se, but exploration of as old as possible language characteristics
for the historical linguistics goals.)

Thus, while I think that large distinctions between sociolects (like
the one Patric described) should be marked inside of ISO 639-6, BCP 47
should mark it for, let's say, Slavic languages, as well.