proposed ISO 639 change for "arn"

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Tue Dec 11 18:57:09 CET 2012

Gordon P. Hemsley <gphemsley at gmail dot com> replied to Peter:

>> You know, a lot of young blacks in the USA regularly use "nigger".
>> What happens if three generations from now young Mapudunguns decide
>> that "mxx" is offensive?
>
> I would suggest we leave the American sociolinguistics out of this
> discussion, especially since it doesn't even seem to be related to
> your point.

I believe his point was that, if the RA/JAC establishes a precedent for
changing a code element because it is deemed offensive, it will be
difficult to say "no" to any such request, even for the same language
years later.

(not saying I agree or disagree)

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA