Review period; Nepali and Oriya

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Aug 25 01:57:47 CEST 2012

If I understand what Mark is saying, that sounds like the approach Gary Simons and I initially took when we started working on how to integrate the inventory in Ethnologue 14 with what was already in ISO 639-2: we adopted a "major language variety" principle -- essentially, assume the definition of the existing ISO identifiers to be whatever rises to the top as the major variety within a set of closely related languages (with a set of indicating criteria defined for how to pick out "major" varieties). However, when we looked at pre-existing practice with ISO 639-2, including both usage in MARC and also in RFC 3066, it quickly became clear that that approach would be a very significant departure from pre-existing practice.

Peter