Review period; Nepali and Oriya

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Aug 4 05:04:17 CEST 2012

There's one week left in the review period for the 180 registration
requests I submitted last week for changes driven by ISO 639-3. This
period can be extended if necessary, but judging by the number of

Last week I wrote:

> Although ISO 639-3 has converted the existing code elements for Nepali
> and Oriya into macrolanguages, and added new code elements for Nepali
> proper and Oriya proper (and the other two encompassed languages), no
> proposals are presented here to add Nepali and Oriya to the list of
> macrolanguages whose encompassed languages get extlang subtags
> (currently 8, epitomized by Chinese and Arabic). This can be discussed
> on the list, and proposals added, if desired. As a note, two years ago
> we did this for Latvian, and the resulting discussion carried on for
> months.

I'm not arguing for or against putting Nepali and Oriya into the extlang
category, but I do want to call attention to the fact that this can ONLY
be done now, at the time the encompassed languages are registered. They
cannot be registered as extlangs later. (So says Section 3.3, item
12.C.4.)

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­