Request to register private-use variant subtags

Kent Karlsson kent.karlsson14 at telia.com
Sat Apr 7 22:05:35 CEST 2012

Den 2012-04-07 21:06, skrev "Gordon P. Hemsley" <gphemsley at gmail.com>:

> As you well know, many entries in the Registry contain multiple values
for the
> "Description" field. This may because things have different
names or whatever.

You may find even more alternate (Englishified) names if you look up the
corresponding Ethnologue entries.

> So the first step of what I'm doing involves
deciding how to translate
> Descriptions into Names. (They are not the
same thing‹the registry has no
> concept of Name.)

Beside the hair splitting (in this case) of "Descriptions" and "Names"... It
seems you are only targeting English. **Translating** the
language/script/region/variant names to other languages is a whole other
ballgame. You may find some (in no way covering all 7000 or so languages)
such translations via CLDR. Note that the coverage vary by language/locale.

    /Kent K

PS
I don't see much of a case for private use variant subtags. Though I note
that there would be a difference between such putative private use variant
subtags and the -x- mechanism: everything (including other singletons) after
-x- is private use, that would not be the case for private use variant
subtags.