Request to register private-use variant subtags

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Apr 7 19:54:08 CEST 2012

CE Whitehead <cewcathar at hotmail dot com> wrote:

> I tend to concur with Doug, that rather than registering the whole set
> of gxaaa  - qx999999 variant codes, one would need to redo RFC 5646,
> and include the information about the new reserved codes in that
> document.
>
> I am unsure as to whether a variant like qxqxqxqx or qzqzqzqz could be
> registered for this purpose.

After discussing Gordon's use case with him privately, I am more
convinced than ever that no action is needed on the part of either this
list or LTRU, either to add a subtag (or range of subtags) or to update
BCP 47.

Gordon wants to unit-test his code against a variant subtag value that
is not listed in the Registry. (Perhaps strangely, he is regarding the
existing language, script, and region private-use subtags as "not listed
in the name database," though of course they are.)

The solution, for unit-testing purposes, is simply to pick a subtag
value that is not registered, ideally one that is unlikely ever to be
registered, and optionally to verify as part of his unit test that the
subtag is not registered. That was Addison's point in saying "A subtag
like "qxqxqxqx" is a pretty good bet"—not as something that should be
registered, but on the contrary, as something that will almost certainly
never be registered.

Does anyone else think any action needs to be taken?

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA
http://www.ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­