Language subtag registration for acor1990 (amended from ao1990)

António H F P A Emiliano (FCSH/UNL) ah.emiliano at fcsh.unl.pt
Fri Aug 26 20:17:19 CEST 2011

On 2011/08/26, at 17:13, ietf-languages-request at alvestrand.no wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 06:56:35 -0700
> From: "Doug Ewell" <doug at ewellic.org>
> To: ietf-languages at iana.org
> Subject: Language subtag registration for acor1990 (amended from
> 	ao1990)
> <20110826065635.665a7a7059d7ee80bb4d670165c8327d.b0a4d53906.wbe at email0
> 3.secureserver.net>

> "Martin J. D?rst" <duerst at it dot aoyama dot ac dot jp> wrote:
>
>>> As for my personal opinion, "pt1971" would make it easier to find
>>> and
>>> understand, *but* this ease does not make up for the (subjective)
>>> "ugliness" of the subtag which comes from repeating the language
>>> code
>>> as part of the subtag name. So on the balance, I - personally -
>>> would
>>> disprefer "pt1971".
>>
>> Agreed, the 'pt' in the variant subtag is very ugly indeed!

> We've used '1901' and '1996' for German and '1994' for the Resian
> dialect of Slovenian, and the sky hasn't fallen.  Maybe that is the
> most
> sensible model to follow.

Agree.

> If we feel we must add letters to clarify
> what the year means, let's at least decide whether the letters should
> precede the year (like 'alalc97'  and 'baku1926' and 'luna1918' and
> 'petr1708') or follow it (like '1606nict' and '1694acad' and
> '1959acad'), and let's stick to that one convention instead of
> switching
> back and forth.

No letters please. Keep it short keep it simple.
However if letters are felt to be needed I wld say they that shld
come after the date: 1990aolp, 1945colb, 1911bop.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:19:07 +0100
> From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
> To: ietflang IETF Languages Discussion <ietf-languages at iana.org>
> Subject: Re: Language subtag registration for acor1990 (ammended from
> 	ao1990)
>
> The reason I brought António into this was that I know that the
> "Accord" is really very controversial in Portugual, and some users
> will simply not accept it. We have seen the same thing with German.
> (Indeed my update of the 1870 Alice was published in pre-
> Schlechtschreibung orthography).
>
> If it makes good sense to be able to tag the "new" orthography, it
> makes the same good sense to be able to tag the previous non-
> Brazilianized orthography.

Right.

> The way that we have done this before is to have a subtag defined
> by a reference work, to a particular specification of the
> orthography. Not to a governmental decree, for instance, but to a
> (mostly at least) complete instantiation of the orthography in
> question.  I don't know that we need to be able to tag every
> revision of the orthography, but the pre- and post-"Accord"
> division is a bit of a watershed.

The pre1911 and 1911 division is actually the major watershed in PT,
Michael.
The pre1931 and 1931 division is the Brazilian counterpart. 1931 is
*similar* to 1911.

> Can António and João point to such authoritative works for each
> orthography?

Sure.

What's your take on my “systemic approach” and my request/wish for a
“complete” set of subtags?
It does stem from some of the stuff I've watched you do for Unicode.

Regards. - A.

--
António Emiliano
Universidade Nova de Lisboa (Portugal)