deprecating www as language code

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Apr 8 19:08:02 CEST 2011

Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>> 2) Choose a domain prefix for Wawa as wikipedia pleases. E.g. wawa.
>
> Their policy is to use ISO language codes.

Except when it isn't; see:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Language_code

Kent is right; Wikipedia (much as I love it otherwise) is hardly the
epitome of conformant usage of either ISO 639 or BCP 47.

I don't think changing one code element for a language with 3,000
speakers, or informally reserving one unassigned code element ('ftp'),
is going to cause much trouble, but I'd hate to see this turn into a
precedent for reassigning lots of other code elements that happen to
collide with something else in the notoriously limited TLA namespace.
Comanche, Peñoles Mixtec, Oring, and Nete should be left alone.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14
www.ewellic.org | www.facebook.com/doug.ewell | @DougEwell ­