Variant subtag request: iso91995

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Sep 19 20:22:02 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 9:56 PM, "Martin J. Dürst"
<duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
> I'm not totally happy with 91995. First, I thought it was referring to ISO
> standard number 91995. Then I had my doubts; although ISO has reached five
> digits, all of those I know start with 1 or two.

Well, that's a possible objection, since we don't know what 91995 will
be about.  But ISO 91 is "Petroleum measurement tables, part 2", ISO
919 is "Guide for the preparation of classified vocabularies", ISO
9195 is "Bi-hexagonal self-locking nuts".  In the opposite order, ISO
1 and 19 do not exist, ISO 199 is "Rolling bearings - Thrust bearings
- Tolerance", ISO 1995 is "Aromatic hydrocarbons - Sampling", and ISO
19959 is "Visual examination of the surface condition of investment
castings -- Steel, nickel alloys and cobalt alloys".  So none of those
could be relevant in this context.

As between 91995 and 19959, the former is the canonical order:
standard number first, then date.

> So I was assuming it's something like ISO 9199-5. Reading the registration
> form, it turns out I was wrong again, it's ISO 9:1995. Didn't know ISO had
> one-digit standards numbers :-).

They had to begin somewhere.